Masters (Orals Only)
We are currently accepting applications for this course and the following dates are available:
- 16 September 2013 to 25 October 2013
- 28 October 2013 to 6 December 2013
- 13 January 2014 to 21 February 2014
- 24 February 2014 to 3 April 2014
- 22 April 2014 to 29 May 2014
- 2 June 2014 to 11 July 2014
- 15 September 2014 to 24 October 2014
- 27 October 2014 to 5 December 2014
- 12 January 2015 to 20 February 2015
- 23 February 2015 to 2 April 2015
- 20 April 2015 to 28 May 2015
- 1 June 2015 to 10 July 2015
Please note: course dates are subject to availability and will be confirmed on application. If the course you wish to study is fully booked we will offer you alternative dates.
The course is of six weeks duration (78 hours of classroom study with a group size of 25).
Please refer to MIN 455: Any Application for Master’s CoC after 31st Aug 2013 will require HELM M (Human Element Leadership and Management Course at Management Level for which the duration is 1 week. This course is not part of Master’s Orals Course and the candidates must book on to a suitable HELM M Course available.
Preparation (advice from the Course Tutor)
While on the ship try and do this:
- Discuss with the Captain the certificates carried on board (take photocopies)
- Become totally familiar with the signing on / off procedure
- Consult with the Ch Eng and go through the engineering systems, e.g. starting procedure for main engine, emergency generator, bilge system etc.
- Make sure you are familiar with all the fixed fire fighting systems.
- Make sure you know your emergency procedures for every type of emergency.
- Become familiar with the magnetic compass, correctors etc.
- LEARN your Rule of the Road
- Perils at Sea
- Mariners Handbook
- Bridge Procedures Guide
- IMO codes (Bulk, Timber, Dangerous Goods) for your trade
- The Shipmaster’s Business Companion (Maclachlan)
- Revise Chief Mate Notes – Cargo, Business & Law, Navigation etc.
MCA Oral Examination.
You should ensure that all the requirements for entry to the course and the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) examination are met prior to attending the course. These requirements are:
- No less than 36 months sea service as a watchkeeping officer whilst holding a Certificate of Competency (COC) not lower than Class 4 (STCW95 Officer of the Watch). For 18 months of this sea service you must have been holding a Class 2 COC (STCW95 Chief Mate).
- Discharge book entries verifying sea service.
- Watchkeeping testimonials to support all watchkeeping sea service.
Note: Candidates with UK Class 2 COC issued before 1987 or holders of overseas Class 2 COC or equivalent are not eligible and are required to undertake parts of the Chief Mate course.
Home & Overseas
Sept 2013-Aug 2014
Master Orals £975
HELM Management* £550
(please note: to book the total fee is required)
*The HELM Management course is not part of the Masters Orals course and will need to be booked separately. Please contact our Marine Booking Centre on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0191 427 3772 for availability and booking of the HELM course.
If you are an overseas student please follow this link which will enable you to calculate how much it will cost to study in the UK.
- STCW 11/2 Master unlimited
How to apply:
When you have decided on the course date you wish to attend, please complete the application form and return it to the college together with full course fee shown on the form and the required copy documents. If a place on the course is available a letter of acceptance will be issued which you may then use for grant or immigration purposes, as required. Fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
To apply for this course, please download and complete relevant application/deposit form:
The responsibility for eligibility for entry to the MCA examinations including correct documentation and sea service rests with the student and not with the college. The college will assist and advise but if in doubt you should obtain written confirmation from the MCA at the following address:
Maritime & Coastguard Agency
105 Commercial Road
Hants SO15 1EG
Tel 023 8032 9100
Fax 023 8032 9251