Certificate/Professional Certificate in Education (QTLS) awarded by Sunderland University
This is a 2 year course held in conjunction with Sunderland University and it leads to an Award of the University of Sunderland
Mode: Three hours per week attendance plus designated tutorials and observed teaching practices.
The 'Cert, Ed' is an initial teacher training course intended for serving part-time and full-time teachers in the Learning and Skills sector and those who are trainers, instructors or teachers in industry, commerce or public service.
· The 'Cert Ed' provides course members with practical teaching skills and a useful base of ideas and key concepts to consider when planning, delivering, assessing and evaluating teaching and learning situations.
· It continues the theme of developing good teaching practice while extending the students knowledge of educational principles and factors which affect teaching and learning.
In addition to attendance at the tutor led group sessions there are additional requirements in relation to tutorials, mentor meetings and teaching practice.
The Certificate in Education course relates to practical teaching and student will be required to have their own teaching observed and assessed by course tutors and their mentors who will provide useful feedback on performance on a number of occasions throughout the course.
Teaching is in groups using a variety of methods and resources. The course is assessed through a mixture of assignments, presentations, teaching observation and the collection of other evidence.
Attendance is required at the end of year 2 on a 2 day (non-residential) block week at the University of Sunderland.
* You must be an adult with a good command of spoken and written English and hold a qualification in Literacy and Numeracy at level 2 or above.
* You must hold a subject qualification that is equivalent to at
least NVQ level 3. The following are examples of relevant
qualifications :- City & Guilds Final or Advanced Craft
Certificate, R.G.N., H.N.C., H.N.D., NVQ level 3,4,5, University Diploma or Degree, or other professional qualification.
* You must be engaged in a teaching, coaching or training role with people in the post 16 age group on a regular basis (an average of at least two hours per week in year one - progression to year two normally requires an average teaching load of over 3 hours per week).
* Holders of a City & Guilds 7407 or equivalent may claim accreditation for prior experience and learning in some of the modules.
A Professional Graduate Certificate or a Certificate in Education will be awarded by the University of Sunderland to those who successfully complete the course. Certificates in Education are nationally recognised initial teacher training qualifications and are seen as recommended qualifications for people wishing to teach in the learning and skills sector of education and training.
These courses provide Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status for those teaching in appropriate contexts. They do not lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for those intending to teach in schools.
Holders of a Certificate in Education can apply for progression, with advanced standing, onto a University of Huddersfield B.A. (Hons) in Education and Training degree. It is possible to complete this part-time degree, held at South Tyneside College, in two further years of study.
Free study and financial support:
For more information about student loans and grants visit Student Finance England or contact your local education authority.
How to apply:
Scroll to the bottom of the page where various dates and times will be displayed under ‘Available Courses’. Accompanying this information will be a link; for courses which allow you to book directly online, such as some of our shorter courses, this link will be called 'Book Now'. And for all the rest of our courses there will be a link called 'Apply Now'.
Please call the Information Centre on 0191 427 3900 if you have any queries.
South Tyneside College does its best to help its students achieve their learning goals whatever their individual needs. Please ask us about additional learning support. If you are a disabled person or have a specific need, please let us know when you apply so that we can help.
If you require this information sheet in a different format or language, please ask.
If you wish to visit us in person, we are within easy reach of the Tyneside Metro and each site is situated on main bus routes. Car parking is available on each site.
If you are interested in applying for this course, please contact us for more information.