NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health Certificate is approximately a 25 week programme. This level 3 qualification gives an excellent foundation in health and safety for managers, supervisors and staff with health and safety among their day to day responsibilities.
These qualifications are also widely taken as a first step towards a career in health and safety and are accepted by IOSH – the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health – in meeting the academic requirements for Technician Membership of IOSH (Tech IOSH). It provides a valuable overview, and is a sound basis for further professional study.
- Duration: Normally up to 25 weeks including examinations
- Attendance: Friday 1.00pm – 5.00pm (other sessions may be available dependent on demand: Monday & Tuesday 5.30pm-7.30pm)
- Location: Westoe Campus, St Georges Avenue, South Shields, NE34 6ET
- Course Date(s): Friday 23rd November
- Fee: £855 including examination fees
The National General Certificate (NGC) comprises three parts:
Management of Health and Safety which comprises:-
- Foundations in Health & Safety; Policy; Organising for Health & Safety; Promoting a positive Health & Safety Culture; Risk Assessment; Principles of Control; Monitoring Review and Audit; Incident and Accident Investigation and Reporting.
Controlling Workplace Hazards which includes:-
- Movement of people and vehicles; hazards and control; Manual and mechanical handling – hazards and control; Working equipment hazards and control; Electrical hazards and control; Fire hazards and control; Chemical and biological health – hazards and control; Physical and psychological health – hazards and control; Construction activities – hazards and control
- The Practical Assessment which comprises Inspections of Workplaces.
It is possible to combine this course with a management development programme. If you are considering entering employment where there is a responsibility for health and safety it may be advisable to acquire knowledge of management principles and practices and to develop essential communication and problem solving skills. Please ask for details of our management development programme.
Assessment for this formal qualification is by 2 x 2 hour formal written examination and a practical workplace inspection assessment and report.
A minimum of IOSH Managing Safely Certificate (or equivalent). A score of 200 or greater in the IOSH Managing Safely Certificate assessment is required for automatic entry. However other level 3 qualifications or above (in any subject) will also be considered for entry. Candidates will be required to complete a pre-entry questionnaire and have an interview with a course tutor.
NEBOSH National General Certificate.
The NEBOSH National General Certificate meets the academic requirements for Technician membership (TechOSH) of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and Associate membership (AIIRSM) of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
The NEBOSH National General Certificate has been accredited and credit rated by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA). It sits in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) at SCQF Level 6 with 15 SCQF credit points, comparable to NQF/QCF Level 3 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The NEBOSH National General Certificate is the standard requirement for entry to the Foundation Degree in Health & Safety Management and where appropriate NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety.
How to apply:
To apply for this course, please complete a College application form. When we receive your application we will invite you to interview and enrol. The interview is our chance to discuss your course choice with you and for you to ask us any questions you may have.
Application forms are available from the Student Service, call 0191 427 3900, firstname.lastname@example.org
We do everything we can to help you succeed. We treat all our students as individuals, so we’ll help and support you during your time with us in whatever way suits you best. Whether you need lots of help or a little, our outstanding support systems will help you to achieve your potential.
South Tyneside College, South Shields campus is within easy reach of the Tyneside Metro (Chichester Station) and is situated on main bus routes. Car parking is available on site.