We have a wide range of short courses that will help you ‘STEP’ in to a job, update and learn new skills and increase your confidence. The courses are free* and will not affect your benefits.
*To be eligible for these free courses you need to be 19+, unemployed and claiming Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance (Work Related Activity Group) benefits.
Our STEP courses consist of a range of vocational routes which have been specifically designed to help unemployed learners back into the job market.
You'll get the skills you need to search for, apply and interview for your chosen job. You'll study the below employability units alongside a vocational unit of your choice:
- Job application skills
- Interview skills
- Job and training search skills
- Working in a team
Contact / Call Centre Training
- You'll get the skills required to work in a call centre environment.
STEP into Adult Social Care
- Designed to give you the skills in communicating with adults and children in health and social care and an introduction to the area of dementia. You will get the opportunity of voluntary work with Age UK to give you that hands on experience.
STEP into Business Administration, Customer Service / IT
- You'll get the skills to improve your IT skills and consider business administration as a future career.
STEP into Hairdressing
- You'll get an introduction to hairdressing with shampoo and conditioning skills and customer service tips.
STEP into Hospitality
- A programme which develops your customer service skills for the hospitality industry together with a food safety qualification.
STEP into Retail
- You'll develop customer service skills for the retail industry and an understanding of the retail and selling sector.
STEP into Welding - flexible availability
- You'll develop hands on experience of welding.
- Designed to improve your CV writing skills and improve your chances of securing an interview.
Maths and English
- Maths and English qualifications designed to improve areas such as reading, writing, punctuation and basic Maths to give you confidence in Maths and English
STEP into Counselling - subject to demand, call 0191 427 3900 for details
- You'll get an insight into mental health issues.
STEP into Education and Training
- Designed for people wanting to work in the education sector.
STEP into Floristry
- Designed to give you hands on skills in designing and selling floral arrangements.
STEP into Horticulture
- Designed to give you practical skills in choosing, planting and growing plants and vegetables. Suitable for those people wanting to start their own allotment.
STEP into IT user skills
- A hands on programme giving you useful skills in computing from word documents to setting up an email account and beyond!
STEP into Manufacturing
- Giving you hands on tool skills in an engineering workshop.
STEP into digital photography
- A programme building skills in taking, uploading and manipulating photographs in Photoshop.
STEP into Enterprise (Self Employment)
- Develop the skills you need to start your own business. You will get the chance to market your idea and sell produce to give you that all important experience to put on your CV
STEP into Web Design (Self employment)
- Develop the skills to design and set up your own website
STEP into Event management
- Develop events management skills - you will also get the opportunity to plan, organise and run an event
Courses are usually 1 or 2 days per week for a period of 6 weeks.
For more information
Contact Student Services on 0191 427 3900, email: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote 'STEP'.
We are constantly changing and updating the skills training available so call or keep checking the website as our offer is updated regularly.