This course is specifically designed for candidates who achieved the Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certificate of Competency (COC) by following a Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) approved deck cadet training scheme, completing HND NSc Chief Mate UPK but are processing to Chief Mate by the traditional examination route.
It is the candidates responsibility to ensure that all the entry requirements, including entry to the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) oral examination, are met prior to attending the course. If in doubt contact the college for advice.
The entry requirements include:-
1. Completion of HND NSc.
2. Not less than 12 months sea service as a watchkeeping officer whilst holding the Officer of the Watch COC.
3. Discharge book entries verifying sea service.
4. Sea service testimonials to support all watchkeeping sea service - see MGN 91 (M).
SQA Higher National Diploma (HND)
- 1 Unit Marine Engineering Systems
- Navigation Aid and Equipment Simulator Training (NAEST - Management) - integrated within the main course but a separate certificate issued.
- To be eligible to sit the NAEST course you must hold either a UK NARAS Operations certificate issued after 1st January 2005 or an MCA approved ECDIS course.
- MCA/SQA external examinations tuition is given to prepare candidates for examinations in Navigation & Stability MCA Oral examination tuition is provided within the course for this external examination.
- Medical Care Onboard Ship course & examination.
- Qualifications achieved: STCW II/I Chief Mate Unlimited Certificate of Competency on application to MCA provided all ancillary courses completed.
With further sea service holding the Chief Mate CoC candidates are eligible to enter the MCA oral examination for the Master's CoC.
The qualifying sea service to Master is a minimum of 36 months whilst holding on OOW CoC including a minimum of 12 months whilst holding a Chief Mates CoC.
For further information please see MSN 1856.
For application information please contact:
Tel: +44 (0) 191 427 3592
Further Information & Links Accommodation is available in the College Hostel or in private lodgings.
For full details please see the separate hostel information sheet or contact the Bursar, Dr. Winterbottom Hall:
Tel: +44 (0)191 427 3666.