This course meets the requirements of the MCA and the IALA Model Course V-103/2 and prepares participants in effective VTS supervision management. It is intended to cover the knowledge and practical competence required for gaining an endorsement in the VTS Certification Log as a VTS Supervisor.
Every candidate for endorsement as VTS Supervisor should have at lease 12 months as an Operator and have completed the Refresher course in the last 3 years.
The complete course comprises six modules, each of which deals with a specific subject representing a requirement or function of a VTS Supervisor, followed by simulated exercises intended to be representative of events and incidents likely to be experienced in a VTS centre.
The modules are:
- Advanced Traffic Management
- VTS Equipment
- Additional Personal Attributes
- Responding to Emergency Situations
- Administrative Functions
- Legal Knowledge
Other areas of the course are:
- Portfolio assessment and validation.
- Education and training taught via lectures, presentations, case studies, workshops, simulation, group learning, etc.
- Continuous assessment: competence based and criteria referenced formative assessment.
- Formal assessment: criteria referenced open book assessment using case studies.