This is the MCA required signals exam for OOW certification.
There are no specific entry requirements, but candidates may find this useful when training towards their OOW certification.
For an OOW CoC candidates will also need to meet the following:
The MCA regulations require a candidate:
- To be not less than 19 years of age
- To have at least 36 months of qualifying sea service in an acceptable deck capacity with testimonials which show that at least 6 months have been spent on bridge duties.
- To have discharge book entries verifying sea service.
A candidate who does not have a discharge book will need to obtain documentation from their shipping company verifying their sea service.
It is the responsibility of candidates to ensure that all entry requirements for the course and the issue of a Notice of Eligibility (NoE) by the MCA are met prior to attending the course.
For sea time assessment a candidate may log onto the MCA's website www.mcga.org.uk
The MCA signals exam is conducted by MCA approved examiners within the College and includes the following:
- Sending and receiving Morse Code at 3 words per minute
- International Code of Signals - code and de-code
- Signals oral examination on signal flags, two letter meanings, SOLAS card adn other associated signal items from the International Code of Signals.
Passing the signals examination is a integral part of the OOW certification.
After OOW certification and further sea service, candidates can progress onto further MCA certification.
If you require some tuition prior to the exam please get in touch as we frequently run signals courses throughout the year.
To apply for this course, please download and complete relevant application/deposit form:
o book please complete an application form and return it to the college. Alternatively, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please see below a link for overseas students which will enable you to calculate how much it will cost to study in the UK - http://www.studentcalculator.org.uk/international/index.asp
Any fees paid by Bankers Draft should be made payable to Tyne Coast College.
Accommodation is available in the college at Dr Winterbottom Hall or in private lodgings. For full details please refer to the separate information sheet or contact Dr Winterbottom Hall. Please telephone: +44 (0)191 427 3666 or email DWH@stc.ac.uk for more information.