This 5 day training course is intended for learners who are designated to take charge of Medical Care on Board Ship. This course is for seafarers undertaking their Chief Mates Certificate of Competence and others who are designated to take charge of Medical Care on-board Ship, in accordance with Regulation A-V1/4-2 of the STCW Code
The course will cover a practical and theoretical mixture of training including:-
- Diagnosis of illness on board ship
- Medical conditions of the cardiovascular and respiratory system
- Gynaecology, pregnancy and childbirth
- Male and Female cauterisation
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Treatment of burns and wounds
- Disease cause and control
- Medical care of rescued personnel (infection)
- Methods of drug administration
Learners who are undertaking this training:-
- Hold a Proficiency in Medical First Aid On Board certificate, or a Proficiency in Medical Care On Board certificate or its update
- Learners must be fit and able to complete all aspects of practical exercises
- A Valid Passport for proof of identity. British citizens who do not have a valid passport may provide a UK photo driving licence or a UK Government issued photo identity document
During the course the learner will be continually assessed, with a written paper at the end of each day on the topics covered.
Please note that any STCW training does not provide direct employment opportunities within the Merchant Navy sector. The training provided on this course is to supplement your existing skills and experience and hence enable you to meet the safety requirements. You are advised to review the range of employment opportunities available for a match with your current skill set.
5 yearly refresher requirement under E.U. directive for persons in charge of medical care on board ship, which is a pre-requisite for issue of a Class 2 Certificate.
Please note: If you are not an EU passport holder, you will require a Student Visitor Visa to attend any course at Tyne Coast College.
Could you please contact the Marine Booking office on tel: 0191 4273772 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place and also arrange your Visa letter.
The College accepts no responsibility if you book your place online but have not obtained a Student Visitor Visa resulting in non-attendance. Refunds will not be given in this instance.