This 1 day STCW course provides learners with the essential education and training in Personal Survival Techniques meeting the requirements set out in STCW Code Table A-VI/1-1. The learners will have a good understanding of how to survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment.
Learners who are undertaking this training:-
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Fit to participate in all aspects of the training. In particular, the learner must be made aware of the practical aspects of the training and the physically demanding nature of some of the exercises
- Valid Passport for proof of identity. British citizens who do not have a valid passport may provide a UK photo driving licence or a UK Government issued photo identity document
Students are continuously assessed during the course in the pool. They must demonstrate the following:
- Correctly don a lifejacket
- Correctly don and use an Immersion Suit
- Jump from a height into the water
- Swimming whilst wearing a life jacket.
- Righting an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Keep afloat without a life jacket
- Multi choice written exam
Please note that any STCW training does not provide direct employment opportunities within the Merchant Navy sector. The training provided on this course is to supplement your existing skills and experience and hence enable you to meet the safety requirements. You are advised to review the range of employment opportunities available for a match with your current skill set.
Please note: If you are not an EU passport holder, you will require a Student Visitor Visa to attend any course at Tyne Coast College.
Could you please contact the Marine Booking office on tel: 0191 4273772 or email: email@example.com to book your place and also arrange your Visa letter.
The College accepts no responsibility if you book your place online but have not obtained a Student Visitor Visa resulting in non-attendance. Refunds will not be given in this instance.