This 1/2 day course is to provide learners with the crucial training in order to maintain proficiency in personal survival techniques as required in the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments. This training course shall be required every five years, to provide evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence, to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities listed in column 1 of table A V1/1-1 of the STCW.
We also deliver STCW Personal Survival Techniques course for those who don't already hold an existing certificate.
Note* See below Self Declaration form link– page 15 Annex B
Learners who are undertaking this training :-
- Seafarers who have 6 months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and were exempt from basic safety courses.
- Seafarers who have certificate of proficiency on Person Sea Survival Techniques and who have maintained the required standard of competence by on-board training and experience listed on the Self Declaration form.
- Delegates are requested to provide a signed self-declaration form as pre-requisite to attending the Personal Sea Survival Techniques refresher course.
- Valid Passport for proof of identity. British citizens who do not have a valid passport may provide a UK photo driving licence or a UK Government issued photo identity document
Students are continuously assessed during the course. They must demonstrate the following:
- Correctly don and use an immersion suit
- Jump from a height into water
- Swim while wearing a life jacket
- Right and inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Keep a float without a life jacket
- Board a survival craft from the water when wearing a life jacket
Upon successful completion of the course, all learners are issued with an STCW Refresher Personal Survival Techniques Certificate.
Please note that any STCW training does not provide direct employment opportunities within the Merchant Navy sector. The training provided on this course is to supplement your existing skills and experience and hence enable you to meet the safety requirements. You are advised to review the range of employment opportunities available for a match with your current skill set.
Please Note If you are not an EU passport holder, you will require a Student Visitor Visa to attend any course at Tyne Coast College.
Could you please contact the Marine Booking office on tel: 0191 4273772 or email: MarineBooking@tynecoast.ac.uk to book your place and also arrange your Visa letter.
The College accepts no responsibility if you book your place online but have not obtained a Student Visitor Visa resulting in non-attendance. Refunds will not be given in this instance.
Dates & Fees
For dates after 1st August 2021, please follow the link above to the Online Booking System.