This two-week course is intended for persons training to become VTS Supervisors. The course normally runs Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 17:00 with breaks for lunch and refreshments (please check your joining email for actual course dates).
The course takes place on site at South Shields Marine School, except for a two-day residential visit which takes place in Northumberland. Please ensure you pack suitable clothing for the time of year as during the residential visit some of the activities are conducted outdoors.
Areas of study include:
- Advanced traffic management
- VTS equipment
- Additional personal attributes
- Responding to emergencies
- Administrative functions
- Legal knowledge
The course uses a mixture of learning environments including classroom, outdoor activities, and a full mission Kongsberg VTS Simulator.
This course is run in accordance with IALA model course C0103-2 and has MCA approval. Successful completion of this course leads to candidates being issued with an MCA VTS Supervisor certificate (C0103-2).
Note: This course can also be used in place of a VTS refresher course for VTS personnel needing to revalidate.
Entry Requirements top
All candidates must:
- Hold a valid VTS Operator Certificate and have a recommended minimum one year experience as a VTSO.
- Produce a portfolio prior to attending the course.
- Candidates without an OOW unlimited qualification must complete an additional assignment prior to attending the course.
- If English is not your first language, you must hold an English Language certificate of IELTS Level 5.0 (or equivalent), or a letter from your employer attesting you meet the required English language ability.
Further details on completing the portfolio (all candidates) and the additional assignment (those without an OOW unlimited) will be emailed to candidates.
This course is continuously assessed to the criteria set by the MCA. Assessment includes reviewing candidate’s portfolios, open book case studies, and performance during simulation exercises.
Professional Opportunities top
Successful completion of this course enables candidates to apply for roles as a VTS Supervisor.