This qualification provides learners with an in-depth understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children and young people in school and college environments. It covers all aspects of specialist support, including: planning; delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to support learning alongside the teacher; bilingual support; special needs support; and personal development and reflective practice.
- Schools and colleges as organisations
- Support health and safety in a learning environment
- Understand how to safeguard children and young people
- Develop professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Understand how children and young people develop
- Support positive behaviour in children and young people
- Support children and young people during learning activities
- Support English and maths skills
- Support the use of ICT in the learning environment
- Support assessment for learning
- Engage in personal and professional development
- Support children and young people’s speech, language and communication
- Understand how to support bilingual learners
- Understand how to support learning of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
- Support children and young people during transitions
- Support the role of play, leisure and extra-curricular activities for children and young people
We know that having good qualifications alone doesn't always make you stand out.
That's why we're all about going the extra mile with you.
Studying with us means practical, hands-on workshops, group sessions, expert guest speakers, visits to local employers, wellbeing drop-ins, chill out time ... the list goes on.
As part of the course, you will also take part in an external work placement to help you develop your confidence and skills to stand out from the crowd.
Progression from level 2 STL course.
You will be assessed via coursework, observations, professional discussions, placement and reflective work.
Employment as a level 3 teaching assistant in a primary, secondary school or a college.
You will complete 3 days in college per week and 2 days placement per week
You will receive a placement t-shirt provided by the college.