The purpose of Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the computing sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them. Providing a thorough grounding in computing principles at Level 4.
The Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Computing offers students a broad introduction to the subject area via a mandatory core of learning, while allowing for the acquisition of skills and experience through the selection of optional units across a range of occupational sectors at Level 4.
You will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios. At Level 4 you develop a broad knowledge and awareness of key aspects of the computing sector through six core units, which include one unit assessed by a Pearson-set assignment.
Graduates successfully completing the Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Computing will be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the basic concepts of computing. They will be able to communicate accurately and appropriately and they will have the qualities needed for employment that requires some degree of personal responsibility. They will have developed a range of transferable skills to ensure effective team working, independent initiatives, organisational competence and problem-solving strategies. They will be adaptable and flexible in their approach to computing, show resilience under pressure, and meet challenging targets within a given resource.
- Unit 1 Programming
- Unit 2 Networking
- Unit 3 Professional Practice
- Unit 4 Database Design and Development
- Unit 5 Security
- Unit 6 Managing a Successful Computing Project
- Unit 9 Software Development Lifecycles
- Additional Units
- Unit 10 Website Design and Development
Entry Requirements top
You will need to satisfy at least one of the following requirements to be eligible for an interview for this course:
- BTEC Level 3 Qualification in Computing/IT achieving MMM overall grade
- GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject achieving a minimum B grades.
- Related work or industry experience
- An international equivalent of the above.
Additional entry requirements
- GCSE English and maths at grade C/4 (Level 2 functional skills may be considered)
- Interview with Course Leader/Tutor
- Application via UCAS
Learners will be assessed through written coursework and controlled assessment.
Professional Opportunities top
- Level 5 (HND) Computing
- University Undergraduate Course
- Various job roles within the sector
- Advanced Apprenticeship