The level 3 policing Certificate is a full time course. You could then progress onto studying your diploma which would complete in June 2022. The purpose of this qualification is to provide specialist knowledge, skills and understanding relating to working in the police service in areas such as leadership skills, physical fitness, equality and diversity and inclusion, which can then be applied to current or future employment. The course content has been developed by NCFE with employers, subject experts and tutors to ensure that it’s relevant to the real world and meets the need of employers.
You will gain a broad understanding of policing. We have also developed policing units so that this qualification is focussed on a career in the police service. Alongside the main programme and depending on grades achieved, you will study Maths and English. You will also be expected to take part in physical fitness and participate in vocationally relevant trips and visits.
We know that having good qualifications alone doesn't always make you stand out.
That's why we're all about going the extra mile with you.
Studying with us means practical, hands-on workshops, group sessions, expert guest speakers, visits to local employers, wellbeing drop-ins, chill out time ... the list goes on.
As part of the course, you will also take part in an external work placement to help you develop your confidence and skills to stand out from the crowd.
Level 2 Diploma in Public Services or 4 GCSEs grade 4/C or above, with one subject being either maths or English (this is because you now need to complete a degree to apply for the police so a pass in maths or English is very important at this level).
You will be assessed by your tutor using a range of methods and this will include tasks set by NCFE such as reports, presentations and practical activities. Assessments will be a compiled portfolio which will be internally assessed and externally moderated.
Certificate 3 mandatory units, 3 optional units (Y1)
Diploma (540 GLH) 3 mandatory units, 6 optional units (Y2)
- Develop leadership skills
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Prepare for a career in the police service
- Preparation for Higher Education*
- Develop aspects of physical fitness for entry to the police service
- Values and standards in the police service
- Carry out map reading and navigation across open country
- Understand conflict management and personal protection
- Emergency planning and response in the police service
- Understanding discipline in the police service
- UK legal systems and the police service
- Crime scene investigation
- Volunteering in the police service
- Safeguarding and the Prevent Duty
- Neighbourhood policing
- Dealing with emergency incidents
Depending on the grade you achieve in your L3 qualification, you could progress to:
- Professional Policing BSc (Hons) Protective Services
- Level 3 Certificate in Knowledge of Policing
- Policing Foundation Degree
- Public Service Foundation Degree
- Higher Apprenticeship
- BA (Hons) in Public Services
- Professional Policing
- Criminology and Policing
- Criminal Justice.