A Vessel Traffic Service is a marine traffic monitoring system designed to improve safety, improve efficiency, and protect the environment. VTS stations are established in ports and coastal areas around the world with the approval of the competent authority. Gaining the VTS Operator (VTSO) qualification allows candidates to seek employment at VTS stations all over the world. Candidates for VTS courses come from both marine and non-marine backgrounds.
At South Shields Marine School, we offer eight IALA VTS courses that are MCA approved as below:
For further information on the suitability of courses, please click here.
Detailed information regarding training and certification of VTS personnel can be found in MGN 434.
IALA model course documents provide detailed information on course content here. VTS Model Courses - IALA AISM (iala-aism.org)
- VTS Induction IALA/MCA (C0103-1)
- VTS Nautical Knowledge IALA/MCA (Module 4 - C0103-1)
- VTS On the Job Training Instructor - IALA/MCA (C0103-4)
- VTS Operator Training IALA/MCA (C0103-1)
- VTS Radar/ARPA - IALA/MCA (Module 4 - C0103-1)
- VTS Revalidation/Refresher - IALA/MCA (C0103-5)
- VTS Supervisor Training - IALA/MCA (C0103-2)
- VTS VHF Radio - IALA/MCA (Module 6 - C0103-1)