Succeed with
First-Class Employees

About Apprenticeships

Employees are the future of your business, so it’s essential to recruit the very best, provide first-class training and offer a rewarding career that encourages loyalty and commitment. Apprentices at South Tyneside College learn while they work for you, so their knowledge is up to date and the practical skills they gain are right for your business.

This is achieved through a combination of on and off-the-job education and training. On the job, they work alongside your staff, and the rest they learn from our highly-qualified industry experienced tutors, usually on a day release basis. To make sure apprentices are on the right track, designated work-based assessors will regularly monitor and review their progress, involving you fully at every stage.

Happy smiling female trainee discussing business ideas with adult trainer

We have apprenticeships available in a range of areas, which vary between one and four years depending on the discipline. The training would be either full or part-funded depending on your individual needs.

Filter courses by...

The Apprenticeship Levy

From April 2017, The Government changed the way apprenticeships are funded in England.

The facts:

  • All employers with a wage bill of over £3m are required to pay a 0.5% Levy tax.
  • The Levy is a tax of 0.5% of wage bill, paid by PAYE.
  • The credit in your Levy account has a lifespan of 24 months.
  • Employers will receive a £15,000 allowance to offset against their payments.
  • Your Levy account will be accessed through the Digital Apprenticeship Service. Employers will use this electronic system to pay for apprenticeship training.

Levy paying employer example:

  • Wages bill: 250 employees x £20,000 gross salary = £5,000,000 wage bill
  • Levy bill: 0.5% Levy tax x £5,000,000 wage bill = £25,000 Levy bill
  • Offset allowance: £25,000 Levy bill – £15,000 allowance + £10,000 annual Levy payment



Non-Levy paying employers

Not all employers will pay the Apprenticeship Levy. If you’re classified as a SME with a wage bill of under £3m, then you’ll be affected by the apprenticeship funding reforms in a slightly different way.

Do you have 50-250 employees?

You’re expected to make a 10% co-investment contribution towards the cost to train an apprentice. The government will pay the remaining 90% co-investment amount towards training costs to support you to develop your workforce.

For example:

  • Business Admin apprenticeship level 2: total training cost is £2,000
  • Employer co-investment paid to STC = £200
  • Government co-investment paid to STC = £1,800

Do you have under 50 employees?

You may be exempt from paying for apprenticeship training. You may also be eligible for additional incentives to recruit and train 16-18-year-olds and 19-24-year-old apprentices who are care leavers and/or have a local authority Education, Health and Care Plan.

WHY BUSINESSES CHOOSE South Tyneside College

  • Bespoke training programmes to meet your business and apprentice’s needs.
  • Apprenticeships available for new, as well as current employees.
  • Support with trainee progress, recruitment and funding.
  • Off-the-job training to support your trainee in their workplace learning and assessment.
  • Give current employees new leadership skills.
  • Work with the likes of City & Guilds to award nationally recognised qualifications.
Virtual tour

Get a feel for what everyday life will look like at STC.

Take a look
Life on campus

Find out what’s happening outside the classroom.

Explore more

We’ve made sure we can offer students the very best of what they need to succeed.

Find out more
Success stories

Read about businesses that have collaborated with STC.

Read more

Let's collaborate

The greatest asset to any business is its staff, and at STC, we collaborate with employers like you to teach industry-relevant skills, working practices, and what industries need and look for to help you build stronger workforces in the future.

Got a question?

How long do apprenticeships last?

Depending on your line of work, apprenticeships can last anywhere from one to four years.

How long will apprentices study at college for?

All apprenticeships are different, so it depends on what works best for your business. Some apprentices could spend four days at work and one day at college, whilst others could spend several weeks at work and a week at college.

How much are apprentices paid?

Apprenticeship wages start from a minimum of £3.90 per hour for the first year, but it’s up to you how much you pay your apprentice.

Are apprentices entitled to holidays?

Apprentices get at least 20 days’ paid holiday per year, plus bank holidays.

Get in touch

Our team is always ready to help. So if you have questions on courses, your career, or anything else, complete this contact form and we’ll be in touch.